December is here. The end of 2020 is nigh (hurray!). But, with darkness falling earlier, the police have issued advice to the public about household security in the run-up to Christmas.
It is important to keep your Wolverhampton home securely locked at all times. Thieves who don’t have to break in at all, or gain entry through a window being left open or unlocked, will seize the opportunity.
8 Tips For Christmas Home Security
There are a few top tips when it comes to securing your Wolverhampton home and providing your property with Christmas home security:
- Don’t leave your keys in door locks, underneath mats or plant pots or anywhere else an intruder may easily find them.
- Don’t keep house keys and car keys on the same key ring
- Don’t put your name, or a house/ room number and address on your keyring, especially if you live in shared accommodation. If your keys are stolen, then opportunistic thieves will have the exact information to direct them to your home/ room.
- Avoid keeping large amounts of cash in your house. If you must, then keep it in separate locations.
- Use a UV marker pen to security mark items inside your property. You can use a pen to write your postcode or house number on your possessions.
- Record details, or take pictures of your valuables such as phones, cameras, TVs, laptops and tablet devices. You can also further protect your valuables by insuring them.
- Don’t leave any valuables in sight of windows, and particularly around the tree over the Christmas period.
- If you have a calendar mounted on a wall, make sure to avoid placing it near a window where appointments can be seen. This may give an indication of when your Wolverhampton property is empty.
Secure your Wolverhampton home over Christmas
At the time of year, in particular, many of us have presents and lovely gifts within our homes as we prepare for the big day. Therefore, it is even more important to secure your property, making sure that before you leave it unoccupied or when you’re in bed, that it is locked up securely.
The number one takeaway is: make sure you keep any items of value out of sight.
If you would like any further information on home security services delivered by Umbrella Security, or you would like a non-obligatory quote to protect your Wolverhampton property, please contact our team today on 0121 554 2761 or fill out our online contact form.